Monday, April 5, 2010

BLOG ASSIGNMENT #11

KAIA'S PHOTO ESSAY-
Kaia is a child whose father (Mr. Raisdana) decided to take her outside, have the world be her classroom and her only tool to use was a camera. Mr. Raisdana is trying to teach Kaia to appreciate her surroundings, you can learn anywhere, and you can find beauty anywhere and in anything. As a child I can recall most of my favorite childhood memories taking place outside. I loved to be outside playing with friends or just being outside on my own. Either way i think that it has helped shape me into the person who I am today. Which is a person who loves sports, appreciates the outdoors, and has become a great observer. These are all attributes that were learned from the exposure of being outdoors. I believe that it was a great idea for Mr. Raisdana to give Kaia a camera and let her loose into the world. Children have a different perspective of things and to be able to capture what she is seeing and feeling is great. Not many parents would think to do something that is so easy, yet educational and a chance to bond together. I believe that you creating her essay for her, as well as letting her know what you are doing is great for her future. Little things like such will give her a few extra steps ahead of everyone else. This shows that more and more children are being exposed to technology at younger ages. This means that if a education system wanted to keep their students engaged, they must compete with the Internet and other technologies. This is a prime reason why it is important for future teachers and teacher of today to be well informed about technology and how they can use it in their classrooms.





4 comments:

  1. Dear Rachel, I noticed that you had chosen a story that I chose while in Doc Stranges class. I am just browsing and thought I would share how this story touched me. It made me remember so much about the time I spent with my daughter when she was growing up that I spent a moment reflecting before I finished posting my comment. Since I mentioned that in the post I got a comment from Kaias father thanking me for the emotion I got from remembering my experiences while reading about Kaias experience. It's not amazing, but it is definitively different when you touch or are touched by someone you will never meet. The world is a big place, and Rachel, you are having a chance to take young children and teach them to share to world with themselves. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    I agree with you on the fact that teachers must be able to know how to use technology and use it in the classroom. I love this post about Kaia. After reading this, I gave my daughter a camera for her birthday and she has had so much fun taking pictures of the world around her. Much thanks goes to Kaia and her father for helping us all realize how much fun and how important it is to use technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, good points you make in your paragraph. I like the facts that you said about how teachers must know their technology and how to use it in the classroom with the students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post. And I was delighted to see John Harville's comment. It means a lot for former students to unexpectedly join in the conversations once again!

    ReplyDelete